The one year anniversary of the tragic day is coming up on Sunday, May 31st.
Below are ways the city is honoring the victims of the May 31st mass shooting.
Friday, May 29:
- Wear blue, the color of remembrance.
- Place Forget-Me-Not display in your window for the weekend.
- Add the Forget-Me-Not social media frame to your Facebook profile photo for the weekend.
- Wherever you are on Friday, May 29 at 4:06 p.m., observe a moment of silence.
Departments formerly in Building 2 will be closing at 2 p.m. Friday in order to “allow employees to memorialize the afternoon in the way they think most appropriate.”
Friday, May 29 through Sunday, May 31:
- Visit the “Lighting the Path: Together We Remember Tribute” installation at Building 2 and at Mount Trashmore Park (side of the hill that faces 264)
On Sunday, May 31:
- At 4:06 p.m., the City will release an online remembrance ceremony that will be a tribute to the victims, their families, friends and colleagues at loveforvb.com. It will also play on VBTV (Cox channel 48 & Verizon channel 45) and youtube.com/VirginiaBeachTV.
- Plant Forget-Me-Not Flowers– If you have a green thumb, plant some Forget-Me-Nots. They’re a perennial and will bloom year after year. In general, the meaning behind this flower is remembrance and love. We adapted it, creating our own version that includes elements representing the 17 victims and the community that surrounds them.
- Window Displays – You can show your support and honor the memories of those we lost by downloading a finished version of our Forget-Me-Not flower design or get the therapeutic benefits from coloring and creating art by downloading one of the blank coloring sheets. Just download the Forget-Me-Not symbol of your choice and place it in your window or somewhere it is visible to those passing by.
- Leave your porch light on blue or white in remembrance.