Sunday night'sSoul Train Awardswere all about the music, with performances taking up most of the two-and-a-half hour broadcast.
Silk Sonic performances book-ended the evening, which was hosted by Tisha Campbell and Tichina Arnold for the fourth year in a row. This year's show took place at the historic Apollo Theater -- a fact that was played up, sometimes for comedic effect.
The evening kicked off with Silk Sonic performing their new single “Fly as Me” with a set, lighting and camerawork meant to evoke a classic Soul Train performance.
Tisha Campbell and Tichina Arnold set things off with a medley of hit songs throughout the ages, with a guest appearance from El DeBarge.
- Ari Lennox performed “Pressure” with a couple of dancers on her sides and with a full band playing the track.
- Lucky Daye performed “Over.”
- Fred Hammond turned the show into the “Soul Train Tabernacle” for a moment and took the live crowd and viewers at home to church.
- BET Amplified performances from Marzz and Elhae.
- The Soul Cypher returned with DJ D-Nice featuring Tone Stith, Koryn Hawthorne, Jac Ross, Elle Varner, and Musiq Soulchild.
- Ashanti reflected on her accomplishments after receiving the Lady of Soul Award. A video package showed Ashanti smashing words that represented criticisms of her, before launching into a medley of some of her biggest hits including “Rain on Me,” and “What’s Love," bringing out collaborators like Fat Joe and Ja Rule.
- Leon Bridges performed “Coming Home."
- It was a big night for Jazmine Sullivan, who gave an emotional acceptance speech forAlbum of the Year, speaking about how in the past, if she wasn't feeling her best, she would skip an event like this, but she made a promise to herself that she's going to show up.
- Summer Walker featuring Ari Lennox- “Unloyal”
- Jazmine Sullivan took the stage for a third time to present Maxwell with the Legend Award. He was humble in his acceptance speech, reflecting on growing up in nearby Brooklyn and how far he's come. After a break, he launched into a medley of hits spanning his career.
- Silk Sonic closed out the show by performing "Smokin Out the Window."
Best R&B / Soul Female Artist:Jazmine Sullivan
Best New Artist:Yung Bleu
Video of the Year:“Leave the Door Open” bySilk Sonic
Lady of Soul Award:Ashanti
Best Dance Performance:Normani
Album of the Year:Heaux Tales,Jazmine Sullivan